Five horrifying statistics about suicide that we should all know
1. Suicide is among the top 10 causes of death in the US.
2. For adolescents and young adults (15- to 34-year-olds), it is the second most common cause of death.
3. Of the 10 top causes of death, death from suicide did NOT decrease over the last many years (from 2005 to 2012) even though it decreased for ALL the other nine.
4. Instead, the suicide rate in the US INCREASED from about 11 per 100,000 people (2005) to about 12.5 per 100,000 (2012).
5. Over 41,000 people died of suicide in the US in 2013.
Copyright © 2016, Rajnish Mago, MD. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced in any form without express written permission.
Disclaimer: The information on this website is intended for general educational purposes only. It is NOT intended as a substitute for medical advice. Patients must ask the clinicians treating them, Dr. Mago or others, for advice specific to their situation.